Medical alert systems are extremely beneficial because they can contact first responders in case of emergency. Whether you live alone or with someone else, when there is an emergency these types of systems are invaluable.
Because so many people need and use them, there are many different companies to choose from depending on your budget.
Medical Guardian is one company that can serve your medical emergency needs. To see if it’s a good fit for you, take a look at what the company has to offer as well as the cost and equipment available.
Medical Guardian has been in the medical alert business since 2005 and is based in Center City, Philadelphia. It stands out from the competition because the system uses motion sensors as well as standard medical monitoring. This combination gives loved ones peace of mind that someone is always there for their family members in the case of an emergency.
The call center is equipped with staff who speak English and Spanish. There is a translation service available for other languages so you can feel confident that your loved one will be helped. Operators have access to medical care information so that you don’t have to worry repeating it in the case of emergency. The monitoring center has a triple backup system in place in case there is a power outage or other issues that knock out service.
Cost & Equipment
Medical Guardian offers several different plans at different price points, so you’re bound to find a plan that fits your budget. Equipment cost is included in the monthly cost for each plan.
- Landline based system with paired pendant
- Comes with a landline based medical alert unit with a 1,300 foot range & 32-hour backup battery
- Pendant is water resistant and supports fall detection
- Cellular-based system with pendant and cellular connection without landlines
- Base unit provides date, time, temperature, cell signal & battery life
- 600 foot range & 30-hour backup time
- Activity sensors that allow loved ones to remotely track a family member’s activity (two motion sensors & a door sensor)
- Basic medical alert functions
- 1,300 foot range with 32-hour backup
- Alerts caregivers if family member does not follow normal routine
- Entry-level mobile medical alert system that uses a cellular system
- 24 hours of battery life
- Uses cellular network
- Must be within 350 feet for button to operate
- Cellular system that supports Wi-Fi
- Fall detection available for extra $10/month
- 5 day battery life
- Supports GPS and Wi-Fi
- Add fall detection for extra fee
- Wearable smart watch with cellular connectivity
- GPS & Wi-Fi enabled
- 2 day battery life
- Touchscreen makes it easy to control as well as to keep up to date on appointments
- Text-to-speech messaging
- Multifunction side buttons to move through menus, functions as emergency alert button when you hold it for 3 seconds or longer
- 48-hour battery life
- 2 days to fully charge
Besides the basic equipment that comes with each service, you also have the option of adding on extra equipment. This includes:
- Fall Alert Detection – Sends out an automatic alert if you’ve fallen
- Lock Box – Gives emergency responders and caregivers access to your home in case you can’t get to the door
- Wall Mounted Medical Alert Button – Can be placed up to 2,000 feet away from the base station or you can choose a voice activated button
- Car Charger – Charge your mobile unit in the car with this 12V auxiliary power cable
Here are some of the features you can expect when you decide to use Medical Guardian as your medical alert system.
- Waterproof – Waterproof equipment that can be used in showers and bathtubs
- My Guardian Customer Portal – Manuals, instructional videos & eBooks are available to explain the services offered.
- Care Circle – Create a group of four people you trust who can be contacted in case of an emergency.
- Companion Mobile App – The app allows members of the Care Circle to interact with a loved one and look at the errands and tasks at hand. SMS and email notifications keep everyone alerted about activities with daily and weekly reports.
Although Medical Guardian is a newer company compared to other medical alert companies, it still offers excellent service and interesting features. The available motion and contact sensors are one of the many reasons people decide to use Medical Guardian.
Looking for Help Choosing a Medical Alert System?
We can help! Answer 5 simple questions and we'll make a recommendation for you or your loved one.