Everyone likes to save a bit of money, even senior citizens. Senior discounts can help to make that possible. Many organizations offer significant discounts to those who come in to use their services if they are over a specific age. By taking advantage of these discounts, you can extend your income to go further. You may be able to enjoy a higher quality of life as a result of using them, too.
What Are Senior Discounts?
Many people can appreciate saving a bit of money. Many business owners recognize that senior citizens do not always have the flexible spending options that those who are younger have. They still want your business. As a result, they may offer a discount or a small savings for using their service. Senior discounts range widely. There is no legal requirement for any location to offer them. However, many don't advertise them thoroughly. Ask about them whenever you visit an establishment. It could save you a significant amount of money quickly.
How Old Do You Have to Be to Receive a Senior Discount?
It can be a bit tricky to determine when a senior discount applies. Most establishments determine this on their own. There is no technical definition of when a senior is actually qualified. However, most organizations have a policy, and that information can apply to your case. For example, many auto insurance companies will provide a senior discount to those who are over 50. Many restaurants offer these discounts for those over the age of 55. And, some retailers begin offering discounts to those who are over the age of 60. The key here is that you do need to ask to get these savings options.
Popular Types of Senior Discounts
Below are some types of common senior discounts. Take a closer look at this list. If you use these services, be sure to ask your favorite businesses about available discounts. Many times, this is a simple way to save a significant amount of money. You just need to ask for the savings.
Retail Senior Discounts
Retail senior discounts are not as readily available as others. However, many retailers will offer a small discount to seniors who ask for it. Some of those companies include the following:
- Kohl's: Kohl's offers senior discounts every Wednesday. They can be up to 15 percent off. They allow seniors to combine these discount days with coupons to save even more.
- Ross Stores: Seniors can get 10 percent off if they shop on Tuesdays in the store. Those over 55 qualify for this discount.
- Walgreens: Walgreens offers lucrative senior discounts. Seniors can save 20 percent off one time a month. Seniors need to use their Balance Rewards to obtain the discounts.
- Rite Aid: At Rite Aid, seniors can obtain a 10 percent discount on Tuesdays. Additionally, seniors receive a 10 percent off discount on prescriptions.
- Banana Republic: Seniors can get up to 10 percent off.
- Walmart: Walmart offers very few discounts to seniors. Some locations can offer reduced costs to seniors some days each week.
- Savers: Many locations offer discounts, up to 10 percent. However, some do not offer any discounts to shoppers.
- Home Depot: Home Depot does not offer specific senior discounts. However, it does price match the discounts that other retailers may offer for the same product in their location.
- TJ Maxx: Shoppers here can qualify for up to 10 percent off when they shop on Mondays. However, this discount is now limitedly available (may only apply in Florida right now).
- Big Lots: Some locations offer discount savings cards. Some locations offer up to 10 percent off through their discount programs.
- Goodwill: Perhaps one of the best known locations for savings. Seniors can get between 10 and 20 percent off one day each week. Locations set the dates that work for their needs.
- Bealls Outlet: Seniors get 15 percent off every Tuesday.
- Target: Limited access to senior discounts is available at Target. However, some locations may offer discounts on specific days for various events.
- Marshall's: Marshall's provides seniors with limited discounts. Special offers may be available at some locations.
- Kmart: A limited number of stores still offer the senior discount of 40 percent off on Wednesdays for seniors over 50.
- Joann Fabrics: On Senior Discount Day, seniors can receive 20 percent off of total purchases; must be 55 or older and discount days vary.
- Amazon: If you are an AARP member you can save 50 percent on certain Kindle e-books, 10 percent on Kindle e-readers, and 10 percent on audio and print books.
- Lowe's: Veteran seniors can receive 10 percent off of eligible purchases
Grocery Store Senior Discounts
Everyone has to go to the grocery store. Senior discounts on grocery purchases can be limited. They may be linked to a card. In some cases, these discounts are on special products.
- Kroger: Some locations offer a senior discount card.
- Publix: Discounts up to five percent off apply at various times. Differ by state.
- Food Lion: Some discounts apply but this varies by location.
- Harris Teeter: Every Thursday, seniors get five percent off their purchase.
- Fred Meyer: Up to a 15 percent savings the first Tuesday of the month.
- Albertsons: Discounts apply but vary by location.
- Safeway: Seniors may qualify for discounts with a savings card.
Restaurant Senior Discounts
Perhaps one of the easiest places to find a senior discount is at your favorite restaurants. Though most chains offer discounts across the board, many smaller locations will as well. Be sure to ask about special event savings days or early dinner discounts available. Restaurants typically will advertise these discounts.
- Dunkin Donuts: For those who are looking for a discount and have an AARP membership, expect a free donut with the purchase of a large beverage here.
- iHop: Senior discounts here are on meal prices and drinks. Up to 10 percent off is provided.
- Golden Corral: Ask for a discount here. They vary from one location to the next, but are often discounted meal prices.
- Denny's: For a deep savings on meals, visit this location. Many offer up to 15 percent off. AARP members could get a lower price significantly.
- Outback: Outback's senior discount is for AARP members. They can save up to 10 percent on their purchase here.
- Taco Bell: Most Taco Bell locations provide individuals with a discount of five percent off their meal. Most also provide free beverages to seniors when requested.
- Burger King: Seniors may be able to get a 10 percent discount plus additional discounts on drinks at Burger King.
- McDonalds: A discount here could help you to get a free cup of coffee or a discounted price on one. Locations vary significantly in what they offer to seniors.
- Chick-fil-A: This location provides a free, refillable senior drink with a purchase. It doesn't apply to coffee, though.
- Subway: Individual locations differ significantly. However, many locations will offer seniors a discount of 10 percent on their purchase.
- Cracker Barrel: A discount senior menu is available at this location.
- Olive Garden: Olive Garden offers senior pricing for early bird dinners.
- Red Lobster: Seniors may be able to find discounts through a senior menu provided.
- Applebee's: Discounts here vary but can be as much as 15 percent.
- KFC: Individuals get a small drink with any meal purchased here.
- Jack in the Box: This location offers up to 20 percent off meals.
- Texas Roadhouse: Seniors may be able to find discounts through a senior menu provided.
- Wendy's: Seniors can receive discounts, but these vary according to age and location.
- Chili's: Seniors over 55 are eligible to receive 10 percent off of their bill.
- Dairy Queen: Seniors are eligible to receive 10 percent off at some locations, while other locations offer a free small drink to seniors with an additional purchase.
Leisure Activity Senior Discounts
The other activities you are involved with can offer discounts as well. You may be surprised to learn so many cost-savings options are available to you at the activities you are planning to do.
- AMC: Senior pricing on tickets is available for most shows. Discounts are up to 30 percent off.
- Cinemark: Senior discounts are available for early shows. Discounts here are up to 35 percent.
- Regal Cinemas: Seniors may qualify for reduced costs. Seniors can save up to 30 percent.
- Marriott: Seniors booking their hotel stay can reduce costs up to 10 percent.
- Disneyland and Disney World: Seniors may qualify for some discounts throughout the parks. Limited admission discounts are not available any longer.
Transportation Senior Discounts
If you use any type of transportation, ask for a senior discount. This is especially true for those who use public transportation. You could save a significant amount of money on these discounts.
- American Airlines: There are various senior discounts that apply to various trips. Call to find out which are available.
- Amtrak: Senior pricing is available for most Amtrak locations. This ranges from 10 to 15 percent off.
- Alaska Airlines: Seniors will save a significant amount of money with discount plane tickets. However, discounts vary from one time frame to the next. Most commonly, seniors can save 10 percent.
- Southwest Airlines: Seniors over 65 who are traveling with Southwest Airlines may be eligible for Senior Fares. These are available online and for international and domestic travel. You can also purchase Senior Fares through a customer service representative at the airline or a travel agency. You will need to arrive early at the gate to be able to prove your age in order to be checked in for your flight.
- United Airlines: United offers discounted prices for flights for seniors over 65. Seniors need to select the Over 65 category when purchasing tickets online or with a customer service agent. Discounts vary depending on the flight and location.
- Delta: Senior discounts are available for limited itineraries with Delta Air Lines. However, you must call 1-800-221-1212 to find out if your flight is eligible for the discounted fare. You will not be able to purchase your tickets online and receive the senior discount.
- Jetblue: Does not offer senior discounts due to the already discounted ticket prices for all ages. The airline does state it supports the military including retired military veterans, so you can contact 1-800-538-2583 (JETBLUE) to request information about possible discounts.
- Greyhound: Seniors over 62 can receive 5 percent off of Greyhound bus tickets. You do need to provide a photo ID for eligibility.
- Uber: Does not regularly provide senior discounts. However, the company has provided savings on uberSENIOR Day, which has been held on the first day of the month in limited markets.
Communication & Internet Service Senior Discounts
Many internet service providers recognize that seniors are one of the fastest growing segments in new internet use. And, they are on a fixed budget. That is why many will offer discounts on plans.
- AT&T: Plans are available for seniors at reduced costs.
- Verizon: Verizon offers senior plans and discounts. The Verizon Nationwide 65 Plus Plan offers a discounted rate for seniors – this rate can change by area as well as over time.
- Comcast: Ask about availability of discounts. They change by location.
- T-Mobile: Seniors over 55 can sign up for unlimited talk, text, and LTE data for two lines for a set price of $60 per month.
- Sprint: Has a line of cell phones specially marketed to seniors that include easy to use, accessible features, such as TTY/TDD support, LED alerts, and 911 shortcut keys. However, the company doesn't offer a senior discount on cell phone plans.
Other discounts may be available to seniors. It is essential to simply ask for a discount when paying for the services you desire. Most locations are happy to give you a bit of a savings if you just ask for it.