Brightview Senior Living: Costs and Review
Brightview Senior Living is one of the most popular options for seniors in the mid-Atlantic region and parts of the northeastern United States. Though the first priority of Brightview is the care and comfort of its residents, it also goes to great lengths to create a welcoming environment for everyone. More specifically, Brightview has consistently ranked as one of the best workplaces in the aging services industry by multiple sources.1 Since its start in 1997, Brightview has built a strong reputation as a leader in elder care and has steadily grown its network of senior living communities. As of 2023, Brightview Senior Living operates 50 full-service locations across eight states.
Thousands of families depend on Brightview Senior Living to provide comprehensive services for older adults. This makes it one of the most important senior care companies in the tri-state area (as well as other locations in the region). In this guide, we’ll cover the types of care and programs offered, amenities, costs, locations, and more!
Pros About Brightview Senior Living
- Award-winning workplace in the aging services industry
- Multi-faceted approach to senior health and wellness
- High-quality dining experience
- Resort-style amenities
Cons About Brightview Senior Living
- Lack of transparency with pricing
- Fewer years in the industry than some competitors
- Quality of care varies among communities
Types of Care
Brightview Senior Living offers similar types of care to other comparable companies, such as Pacifica Senior Living. It has four standard types of care: independent living, assisted living, dementia care (or general memory care), and enhanced assisted living care. All but independent living provide extensive individual support from staff. There is a certain level of crossover between these types of care, and many residents and patients need to transition from one type of care to another, especially if they choose to spend years at Brightview.
Pro Tip: Though it is not listed as one of their primary types of care, Brightview also offers continuing care retirement communities, ensuring that residents can transition from one form of care to another as needed. Visit our resource on continuing care retirement communities to learn more about this form of senior living.
Below is a breakdown of each type of care at Brightview Senior Living.
- Independent living: Brightview’s independent living provides seniors with a resort-style home and eliminates the need to do chores on their own. Older adults who still manage daily tasks independently can maintain their independence while getting the luxury and security of living in a vibrant senior community. Things like housekeeping, laundry, and lawn care are all done by staff, leaving residents with more time and energy to enjoy themselves.
- Assisted living: This care is a personalized experience that is unique to every Brightview resident. The Brightview community of your choice will work with seniors to determine which kinds of tasks they can and cannot do on their own. This way, residents still have freedom and independence without feeling smothered or bothered by Brightview associates. At the same time, staff members are always available when a resident needs help.
- Dementia care: Dementia care is tailored to residents who suffer from dementia, Alzheimer’s disease, or similar conditions that cause memory problems. Both the facilities and activities can help keep minds active while also accounting for the special needs of every resident. Since dementia patients often require help with memory-related tasks (like taking medications at specific times), Brightview associates are trained to assist and even work to improve cognitive function.
- Enhanced assisted living care: Sometimes simply referred to as “enhanced care,” this type of care is designed for residents who require a greater degree of assistance from Brightview staff. For example, residents living with ALS, Parkinson's disease, or multiple sclerosis will require greater physical help from staff to manage daily tasks. Enhanced care is closer to the kind of service offered at a nursing home or skilled nursing facility, as residents have access to 24/7 assistance and special attention on a case-by-case basis.
Our free housing and care finder uses your unique needs to curate a list of the best options in your area.
Brightview Programs and Services
Brightview offers various services to its residents, but its two flagship programs are Bright Minds and SPICE. Both of these programs make up the foundation of Brightview’s senior care philosophy.
Pro Tip: Bright Minds and SPICE are essential parts of Brightview’s services, which means that you will not have to pay any extra fees to enjoy these programs.
Bright Minds incorporates a wide range of activities and services designed to enhance cognitive function and keep residents mentally engaged on a daily basis. These activities help encourage and reinforce healthy lifestyle habits so that seniors can overcome or delay mental decline as they age. The activities within the Bright Minds program focus on four health-centered practices:
- Social and mental engagement
- Medical health
The SPICE program encompasses a holistic approach to wellness involving five key elements: spiritual, physical, intellectual, cultural, and emotional well-being. Rather than simply providing residents with the necessities to live, Brightview encourages residents to thrive and get the most out of life. All five elements of SPICE are integrated into the daily calendar available to every resident. Though the activities are not obligatory, staff members encourage residents to participate in as many activities as possible to help them feel fulfilled, engaged, happy, and healthy.
In addition to the standard living spaces assigned to each resident, Brightview communities also offer special amenities to keep residents safe, entertained, healthy, and comfortable. Reviews of Brightview state that the staff has intentionally designed the community atmosphere to promote socialization through its amenities and programs. This directly impacts the wellbeing of residents, which we appreciate. Some of these amenities include:
- Chef-prepared meals
- Enhanced infection control
- Indoor and outdoor maintenance
- Specialized classes (woodworking, painting, etc.)
- Putting greens
- Resort-style gardens and walking areas
- Pubs and game rooms
- Check-in systems for visitors
- 24-hour staff availability
- Emergency and medical response systems
Our team of senior living advisors provide free guidance to help you find the right housing option for your needs and budget.
Brightview Senior Living Cost
While Brightview Senior Living has plenty to offer, it does not provide much transparency regarding the cost of its living spaces and services. Most senior care providers make their pricing structure public and provide a range of prices based on the services required. For example, someone requiring enhanced care would typically need to pay more per month than someone in an independent living facility.
Brightview Senior Living makes its prices available only to those who apply for a spot at one of their communities. Brightview does offer useful resources to help seniors get help paying for the costs. However, since the exact costs are unclear and can vary from one location to another, it is virtually impossible to compare the pricing of Brightview to its competitors. Some other companies like Benchmark Senior Living are more straightforward about pricing.
That said, Brightview’s website and various resident reviews note that the upfront costs are relatively low. Each community has a set monthly rate based on the type of care and the individual needs of each resident.
If you’re concerned about paying for care, visit our guide to assisted living costs for median costs by state, resources on how to pay for senior living, and more.
How to Pay for Brightview Senior Living
Medicare or Medicaid may cover a portion of the costs of care if you require medical assistance as part of your Brightview living package. However, independent living, assisted living, and dementia care are typically not covered by Medicare or Medicaid. This means that you will need to make a plan for your budget before applying to live at Brightview.
Pro Tip: Since Brightview does not make its pricing structure public, you may want to research the prices of similar senior living facilities in your area to help devise a reasonable living budget in advance.
You may still be able to get help with the costs of living at Brightview Senior Living through private health insurance like long-term care insurance. Additionally, Original Medicare or some Medicare Advantage plans may pay for certain services you get within an assisted living facility, like fitness or medical costs.
Brightview Senior Living Reviews and Ratings
Brightview Senior Living is highly regarded in the industry. It has been listed in both Fortune magazine2 and Great Place to Work3 as one of the best senior care employers in the region. Brightview has also recorded more than 2,646 reviews and testimonials from residents, with an average rating of 4.64 out of 5 stars. Some of the most common praise goes to the quality of the facilities and social programs. However, some residents have complained about understaffed locations and slow response times from staff members.
As you choose a senior living community, reviews are just one important element to consider. The key decision-making factors we recommend evaluating, which we cover in this review, include:
- Cost and value
- Staff-to-resident ratios
- Resident and family reviews
- Quality of care
- Quality and type of amenities offered
- Health and safety protocols
Brightview Senior Living Locations
Brightview has 50 communities across eight states, including various communities in the tri-state area. The company has evolved over the years, adding more and more facilities to its brand. The company has added three new facilities in the last year alone!
Brightview has a comparable number of communities to other, similarly-sized senior living companies like Bickford. However, there are some larger companies like Atria Senior Living that have over 400 facilities nationwide. Regardless, if there is a Brightview community in your area, it’s worth considering.
You can find Brightview locations in the following states:
- New Jersey
- New York
- Rhode Island
To find a Brightview community in your area, use Brightview’s community finder tool.
Final Thoughts on Brightview Senior Living
Brightview puts a great deal of emphasis on improving the quality of life of its residents. Through programs like Bright Minds and SPICE, staff members work to consistently keep residents happy, healthy, and comfortable in their new homes. Residents and family reviews commend the company for its patient staff, warm and welcoming environment, and modern amenities. The company also offers a wide range of amenities, including restaurant-quality dining and beautiful facilities and grounds. The lack of pricing transparency may make it difficult for some older adults to plan their financial future. Nonetheless, Brightview Senior Living provides excellent care for seniors in the mid-Atlantic region and the northeastern United States.
Brightview Senior Living. (2022). About Us.
Fortune. (2022). 100 Best Companies to Work For Brightview Senior Living.
Great Place to Work. (2021). Brightview Senior Living.