Benchmark Senior Living Review and Costs
Benchmark Senior Living Review and Cost: A Company Built On Personalized Service
Benchmark Senior Living is one of the largest networks of senior living communities in the northeastern United States. Though there are companies with far more locations across the country, such as Atria Senior Living, Benchmark has established itself as a leader in senior community care in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont. Founded in 1997, Benchmark has expanded its network to 64 locations while still providing upwards of 80 full-time staff members per community.
Today, thousands of families depend on Benchmark Senior Living to provide comprehensive, affordable services for seniors and retirees. Resident and family testimonials commend the company for its thoughtful caregivers, excellent communication between staff and families, and beautiful, clean facilities. In this guide to Benchmark Senior Living, we’ll cover the types of care and programs offered, amenities, costs, locations, and more!
Pros About Benchmark Senior Living
- Company-wide focus on individualized care and attention
- High employee-to-patient ratio
- Highly competitive pricing structure
- Several types of care offered
Cons About Benchmark Senior Living
- Limited to just six states
- Quality of care varies by location
Types of Care
Benchmark Senior Living offers six primary types of care: assisted living, mind and memory care, independent living, respite care, continuing care retirement communities, and skilled nursing. There is a certain degree of crossover between these types of care, and many residents and patients will need to transition from one type of care to another with time.
Pro Tip: Benchmark Senior Living offers both medical professionals and financial mentors to help you find the best type(s) of care for you or your loved one.
Below is a breakdown of each type of care provided by Benchmark Senior Living.
- Assisted living: Benchmark has five different levels of assisted living care, ranging from Level 1, for people who primarily need reminders and little or no physical assistance, to Level 5, for people who need full physical assistance with all or nearly all daily tasks.
- Mind and memory care: Like assisted living, Benchmark divides its mind and memory care patients into five levels based on their needs. Mind and memory care is focused on reminders and mental stimulation, with little or no physical assistance. This care can be implemented in assisted living and independent living communities.
- Independent living: Benchmark Senior Living offers light assisted care for those who prefer to live independently (minimal help with daily tasks). The primary benefit of Benchmark’s independent living is the freedom it gives older adults, while also providing a social community with access to features like fitness activities, free transportation, and award-winning dining facilities.
- Respite care: Benchmark’s respite care offers most of the same services provided through other types of care on this list, but is designed for short-term patients. This is typically reserved for those who want to see if senior living is the right fit for them or those with caregivers who need to take a break.
- Continuing care retirement communities: Benchmark’s continuing care retirement communities (CCRCs) give older adults care that adapts to their changing needs. This gives seniors peace of mind knowing that they will always be provided with the best possible care, even as their condition or circumstances change.
- Skilled nursing: Similar to respite care, skilled nursing care is designed to provide short-term care to people who may have experienced an accident, surgery, or a significant medical procedure and need round-the-clock help. Skilled nursing care is more intensive, with 24/7 care provided by medical professionals.
Our free housing and care finder uses your unique needs to curate a list of the best options in your area.
Benchmark Amenities and Services
Similar to most companies like Brookdale Senior Living, Benchmark offers an extensive list of amenities and services at all of its residential communities to meet seniors’ social, health, wellness, and safety needs.
Pro Tip: Benchmark offers some of the most comprehensive amenities packages under its standard plans, which means that you can still access all of the same benefits without needing to spend a fortune.
- 24-hour emergency management
- Activity and games lounge
- Hair salons
- Library and computer stations
- Parking for residents and guests
- Controlled access entry
- Dishwasher and garbage disposal
- Wheelchair access
- Window coverings
- Cable-ready residences
- Housekeeping and laundry services
- Award-winning chefs
- Fresh ingredients and seasonal menus
- All-day dining and snacks
- Private dining rooms
- Outdoor dining areas
Health and Wellness
- Fitness centers
- Guided yoga, tai chi, and pet therapy programs
- Medical suites with supportive care
- Outdoor walking paths
- Help to schedule transportation, appointments, and more
- Outings to neighborhood events, shopping, and attractions
- Technology workshops
Activities and Events
Benchmark Senior Living aims to provide a wide range of activities and events to accommodate all of its patients and residents. These activities include:
- Tai chi classes
- Barre classes
- Chair and traditional yoga
- Stretching classes
Educational Activities and Events
- Learning seminars
- Volunteer opportunities
- Therapeutic gardening
- Intergenerational programs
- Religious services
Personalized Activities and Events
- Benchmark Dream Now to help residents check things off their bucket lists
- Birthday and anniversary parties
- Brain in Play activities
- Virtual reality activities
- Eversound audio programs
Our team of senior living advisors provide free guidance to help you find the right housing option for your needs and budget.
Benchmark Senior Living Cost
Unlike some of its competitors, Benchmark uses an à la carte pricing structure for many of its services. This allows seniors and their families to choose exactly what kind of services and care they want and can afford. While standard pricing can vary by location, there are a few services that stay the same across the board:
|Type of care plan||Daily cost||Features|
|Standard||$33||Minimal assisted care|
|Level 1||$65||Some assisted care; primarily reminders|
|Level 2||$98||Moderate physical care with daily tasks|
|Level 3||$130||Comprehensive physical care with daily tasks|
There are also additional costs based on medication needs.
|Type of medication plan||Daily cost||Features|
|Level 1||$25||Medication administration; up to 2x daily|
|Level 2||$30||Medication administration; up to 3x daily|
|Level 3||$35||Medication administration; up to 4x daily|
Many companies, such as Oakmont Senior Living, do not offer price estimates online, so we appreciate Benchmark’s pricing transparency. Benchmark resident and family reviews also often state that the communities offer great value for money.
How to Pay for Benchmark Senior Living
It’s important to note that Medicare or Medicaid may cover a significant portion of the costs for skilled nursing care. Independent living, assisted living, mind and memory care, and continuing care retirement communities are typically not covered by Medicare or Medicaid.
Pro Tip: Health insurance may pay for some of the costs of Benchmark Senior Living’s services and housing, but you should still expect to pay a portion of the costs, especially if you choose services beyond the minimum or “standard” level.
You may still be able to get help with the costs through private health insurance like long-term care insurance. Additionally, Original Medicare or Medicare Advantage will pay for certain services you get within an assisted living facility, like fitness or medical costs.
Benchmark Senior Living Locations
As previously mentioned, Benchmark has communities and services in six states. You can find Brookdale locations in:
- New Hampshire
- Rhode Island
Final Thoughts on Benchmark Senior Living
Benchmark Senior Living was built on the idea of providing customized care to each patient or resident, and it maintains its own high “benchmark” to this day. While it does not have communities nationwide, Benchmark does have ample coverage in the northeastern United States. Its qualified staff, varied services, and “patient first” mentality help make it one of the best options on the market. Lastly, the unique pay structure makes it easier for seniors on a budget to only pay for the care they want or need.