How to Create a my Social Security Account
A Step-by-Step Guide to Creating an Online Social Security Account for Seniors
Even if you haven’t retired yet, it’s still a good idea to create a my Social Security account. If you’re not eligible for benefits yet, the online account allows you to request a replacement Social Security card if you have lost yours, view benefit estimates, and check your application status if you’re applying for Social Security. If you are eligible to receive benefits, the account allows you to update your personal information, set up direct deposits, and more!1
Is It Safe to Create a Social Security Account Online?
Exchanging sensitive information online can be anxiety-inducing! You may be thinking:
What if my personal information is stolen?
How do I know if my information is truly secure?
What if I get locked out of my account and can’t remember my password?
What if someone imitates me and accesses my account?
Those are all valid questions. You can never be too careful online, and we’re passionate about protecting seniors from scams and identity theft.
Safety Tip: Worried about online scams? Visit our guide to scams that target older adults to learn what to look out for and how to stay safe.
To ease your concerns, the Social Security Administration outlines the security and protection procedures they take to keep your information safe and out of the hands of scammers. When setting up your my Social Security account, you’ll be asked a series of security questions to verify your identity. That means no one can create an account using your information or access your existing account.
FYI: If you need additional assistance setting up your account, you can create an account in person or over the phone by visiting or calling your local Social Security office.
Once your account is set up, the site has a two-step login process to keep you safe. You’ll enter your username and password and a security code that they send to you via text message or email (your choice). This double security login is impressive!
Since only one account is tied to each Social Security number, it’s imperative to set up your account early. Plus, you can look at your benefit estimates to assist you in planning for the future.
How to Set Up Your my Social Security Account Online
Securely setting up your my Social Security account can be completed in a few simple steps. Before you get started, here is what you’ll need on hand to set up your account:
- Your Social Security number
- A valid U.S. mailing address
- An email address
There are a few ways to create a my Social Security account. Each method starts with the two steps below. After you’ve completed these two steps, you can create an account using either Login.gov or ID.me. We will explain the steps for both options.
- Open your web browser and type “ssa.gov/myaccount/” in the URL bar.
- Next, click “Create an Account.”
Option 1: Creating an Account Through Login.gov
- After completing steps one and two, scroll down and click “Create an account” or “Sign in with Login.gov.” It doesn’t matter which you click, because they will both take you to the same page.
- You will then be directed to Login.gov, a safe and secure government website the SSA uses. If you already have a Login.gov account, then sign in. If you don’t, then scroll down and click “Create an account.”
- Enter your email address, select your language preference, accept the Login.gov rules of use, and click “Submit.”
- Once your account is created, you’ll return to the my Social Security website to finish creating your account.
Option 2: Creating an Account Through ID.me
You can also set up your my Social Security account by creating an ID.me account or signing in if you already have one.
- After completing steps one and two, click “Sign in with ID.me.”
- You will see an alert letting you know you are leaving the Social Security’s website. ID.me isn’t a government website like Login.gov. It is a website that provides identity proofing and authentication, which means your information will still be kept safe and confidential. If you are okay with this, then click “OK.”
- If you already have an ID.me account, then sign in. If you don’t, then click “Create an ID.me account.”
- Enter your email address, create a password, and check the box to accept ID.me’s terms of service. Then click “Create an ID.me account.”
- Once your account is created, you will be directed back to the my Social Security webpage to finish setting up your account.
Congratulations, you have now completed the setup process for your my Social Security account!
Keep in Mind:When you create a my Social Security account, you will no longer receive paper statements in the mail. Instead, you will receive an email reminding you to review your statement by logging into your online account.
Social Security. (2021). Create your personal my Social Security account today.
Social Security. (2022). Monthly Statistical Snapshot, January 2022.