Cigna Medicare Advantage Plans Review
All-in-one low-cost plan with great benefits
Cigna offers several Medicare Advantage plans, including HMO, PPO, and SNP options. Some plans have supplemental benefits that offer services for mental health, transportation, medication management, meal programs, and more. If you live in one of the 28 states (or Washington D.C.) where Cigna plans are available, they may be great options for you. Keep reading to learn more about Cigna’s Medicare Advantage plans, including what you can expect to receive from each, their costs, and more.
FYI: Preparing to enroll in Medicare? Visit our guide to Medicare enrollment to learn all the inside tips.
Pros About Cigna Medicare Advantage
- All-in-one coverage gives you Medicare Part A and Part B benefits in addition to Part D if available.
- Some of Cigna’s plans offer dental and vision coverage.
- Depending on plan type, you’ll pay a low monthly premium or none at all.
- Many plans are flexible, meaning you can choose from HMOs, PPOs, and SNPs to meet your coverage needs.
- You’ll have access to and will be able to work with pharmacy and case managers.
Cons About Cigna Medicare Advantage
- Not all plans include dental coverage.
- Plans are available in only 28 states (plus Washington D.C.).
- While PPO plans are offered, many are HMOs, so you can only receive care only from Cigna’s in-network providers.
Available Cigna Medicare Advantage Plans
Cigna has a variety of Medicare Advantage plans, including PPO, HMO, and SNP plans. Keep in mind that benefits and plans will often differ by location.
Did You Know? There are a variety of Medicare Advantage plan types, such as HMO, PPO, SNP, PFFS, and MSA.
If you choose one of Cigna’s health maintenance organization (HMO) plans, you’ll have a local network of doctors and providers from whom you can seek care. Specialist referrals are mandatory, except for OB/GYN services. Cigna offers HMO point-of-service and HMO open access plans, through which you can receive more flexible coverage than is available with a standard HMO.
Preferred provider organization (PPO) plans give you a large network of participating providers and facilities so that you have a broad range of doctors and hospitals to choose from. You’ll often receive global emergency, as well as urgent care coverage 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If you want to receive care outside of Cigna’s PPO network, be prepared to pay more and submit claims yourself. You’ll also need to meet a separate out-of-network deductible.
Cigna has three different special needs plans (SNPs). A dual SNP (D-SNP) is available for those who have both Medicare and Medicaid and are eligible for an SNP. A chronic SNP (D-SNP) is available if you have diabetes mellitus, and an institutional SNP (I-SNP) is available for those who reside in a long-term care facility or require nursing home-level care. You’ll receive all the benefits of Medicare Advantage (including prescription drug coverage) in addition to extra services specific to the plan. Services may include the following:
- Interdisciplinary care team: If you’re enrolled in an SNP, your care team will consist of a primary doctor, caregiver (as needed), and network doctors/specialists. You can seek further support from pharmacists, social workers, and nurse case managers.
- Case management: You’ll be paired with a case manager to assist you in setting up your medical goals. If you have diabetes, your case manager will help monitor your blood sugar levels.
- Customized care plans: You’ll take a health risk assessment, which will determine the best care plan for you. From there, you’ll be assigned a case manager or primary care physician to help achieve your health-related goals.
- Care transitions: If you’re required to stay at a hospital or skilled nursing facility, Cigna Medicare Advantage may help with these expenses.
Extra Perks and Benefits
Cigna offers additional benefits with many of its Medicare Advantage plans. Note that benefits will vary by plan and location. These may include behavioral health support, medication management, transportation, dental, vision, hearing, fitness memberships, home-delivered meals, and Cigna’s over-the-counter program. Below is a closer look at some of these benefits:
- Fitness: Your plan may provide access to the Silver&Fit Aging and Exercise program, through which you can sign up for gym memberships and access home fitness programs.
- Transportation: If your plan has transportation benefits, you can take non-emergency trips (via taxi, van, or rideshare through Cigna’s Access2Care) to healthcare facilities within 60 miles of your home. Keep in mind that the number of trips you can take varies by plan.
- Home-delivered meals: Once you are discharged from a hospital or skilled nursing facility, your plan may allow you to have a set number of meals delivered to your house via GA Foods. This benefit can be used up to three times each year.
- Social Connection Program: This program was specifically created to help you battle loneliness as a result of the pandemic. If it is offered in your area, you’ll have access to a caretaker who will provide comfort to you by helping with activities like meal preparation, transportation, chores, and reading.
- Affordable diabetes care: This is an extension to Cigna’s Senior Savings Model, capping the price of insulin at $35 per month regardless of your coverage phase.
- Preventive care gift card: To help you manage your health better, Cigna’s Medicare Advantage plans give you a gift card for wellness visits so that you can get annual screenings and physical examinations at in-network doctors with $0 copays.
How Much Do Cigna Medicare Advantage Plans Cost?
Cigna Medicare Advantage plans vary widely from person to person and plan to plan (including the cost). While the average premium for Medicare Advantage plans is roughly $18 per month in 20231, many of Cigna’s plans are low-cost or have a $0 monthly premium as well as a $0 copay for primary care visits. Special needs premiums can range between $5 and $81. Depending on which plan you choose, out-of-pocket limits can range between $3,700 and $11,300. Keep in mind that geographic location is a large determinant. Regardless of your location, you’ll still be required to pay Medicare B premiums (and Part A premiums in some cases).
FYI: If you’d like to learn more about what Medicare Advantage is, visit our guide to Medicare Advantage!
Where Are Cigna Medicare Advantage Plans Available?
Cigna’s Medicare Advantage plans are available in 28 states, as well as the District of Columbia. In terms of expansion, Cigna is working to offer coverage in three more states this year, which would bring the total to 108 counties. The carrier has also recently expanded benefits that may be available in your area, including their Social Connection Program, Senior Savings Model for affordable diabetes care, and gift cards for preventive care (detailed above).
Pro Tip: Love the doctor you’re seeing? Use Cigna’s provider and pharmacy directory to see if they accept your Medicare Advantage plan.
Reviews and Ratings
When searching for a Medicare Advantage plan, it never hurts to look at reviews and ratings from trusted sources.
- AM Best: Cigna Medicare Advantage received an “A” (Excellent) rating from AM Best, indicating an excellent ability to deliver/meet their insurance obligations.
- National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA): On a five-point scale, the NCQA ranks Cigna’s Medicare Advantage plans between 2.5 and 3.5.
You can contact Cigna’s customer service in a few different ways:
- Calling a representative at (800) 997-1654 (24 hours a day, 365 days a year)
- Chatting online from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday
- Chatting via Facebook or Twitter
Final Thoughts on Cigna Medicare Advantage Plans
Overall, Cigna’s Medicare Advantage plans are a great choice, as you can choose from different HMOs, PPOs, and SNPs. You’ll pay a low monthly premium or even a $0 premium, and the benefits are satisfactory. Cigna’s customer service team is readily available across a multitude of channels, so you won’t have to worry about how to reach them. If you’re looking for a Medicare Advantage plan that has many options, excellent benefits, and low costs, Cigna may be the right choice.
Healthcare Finance. (2022). Medicare Advantage premiums are $2 lower per month in 2022.