Starkey Hearing Aids
Starkey Hearing Technologies is a privately-owned American hearing aid company. Based out of Eden Prairie Minnesota, Starkey has provided exceptional hearing devices for more than forty years. The original Starkey Labs – a company that made ear molds – was purchased by William F. Austin for a mere $13,000 in 1970.
Before that, Austin owned and operated a small hearing aid repair store. It was here that he realized the need for better hearing aids and more accessible for all. To reach those ends, Starkey has led the way with a number of innovations as well as humanitarian efforts. For example, in 1975 Starkey Labs introduced the first custom directional in the ear (ITE) hearing aid to the world. This provides a more natural hearing experience that many other companies have since duplicated.
Starkey Labs found new levels of success in the 1980s. This is due in large part to the fact that they became the preferred hearing aid of Ronald Reagan. In 1983 – during Reagan’s presidency – the company saw their sales double due to the free advertising this provided.
This success helped William Austin to realize his longtime goal of providing hearing services to those who could not otherwise afford them. This led to the 1984 creation of the Starkey Hearing Foundation whose mission is to empower those in need to achieve their full potential by giving them the gift of hearing.
Today, Starkey Labs and Starkey Hearing Foundation continue to traverse the globe helping those in need. By partnering with health leaders, governments, and nongovernment organizations they have provided hearing solutions for those in need in more than 100 countries.
They continue to operate on the same simple premise that led Austin to create the Starkey Hearing Foundation,
“Alone we can’t do much. Together we can change the world.”
Starkey Labs offer a number of different hearing aid solutions
that include in the ear (ITE) and behind the ear (BTE) devices with a number of helpful features. Not all features are available on all devices and it is important to discuss which features will help your unique hearing needs with a trained audiologist.
The features offered by Starkey in their hearing aid devices include things such as:
- Hearing Reality: This trademarked feature allows users to enjoy enhanced speech clarity even in the noisiest environment.
- Invisible Design: Starkey offers invisible in the canal (IIC) customized hearing aids that fit deep inside the ear canal for added discretion, comfort, and sound quality.
- Advanced Multi-Flex Tinnitus Technology: This innovative tech is integrated into Starkey hearing aids to provide relief from the ringing in the ears known as Tinnitus.
- Feedback Cancellation: Starkey hearing aids prevent whistling and buzzing caused by feedback with their outstanding system of feedback cancellation to allow for comfortable clear listening.
- Acuity Directionality: This trademarked feature is designed to improve speech recognition and differentiation in difficult listening situations.
- Speech Shift: Another feature designed to help users hear and understand speech better in noisy environments.
- Surface Nano Shield: Another trademarked feature from Starkey, this pioneering system is designed to ensure durability and dependability of hearing aids by protecting them from moisture, wax, and water.
- Wireless Streaming: This feature is possible due to innovations in technology that allow wireless streaming of music, television, and other media directly to one’s hearing devices providing pure refined sound quality.
- Rechargeable: Starkey has the smallest rechargeable hearing aids on the market. They offer a charge that lasts, portable wireless charging on the go, and freedom from the hassle of buying, carrying, and changing out disposable batteries.
- Thrive App: This innovative feature allows Starkey hearing aid users to control and monitor their devices via their smartphone, tablet, or computer anywhere, anytime. The Thrive app has the added benefit of providing a way to monitor your overall health via your hearing health.
Starkey Costs & Pricing
The cost of Starkey hearing aids and hearing aid accessories varies based on the specific features and model needed. The Starkey website – like the majority of other hearing aid companies – does not sell devices directly to the consumer. Provided through a network of distributors including audiology centers and the like, often financing plans are offered through these third-party representatives. In addition, Starkey hearing aids are often covered – or discounted – by benefits provided through the Veterans’ Administration (VA), insurance providers, employers, or charitable organizations.
Starkey Hearing Technologies has forged a path through the hearing aid industry. Uniquely independent and family-owned, extensive online research reveals an overall positive customer response to both the company and its products.
With a long history of success and innovation in the industry, Starkey continues to push for new ways to improve the ability of the hearing impaired to enjoy the sounds of the world clearly. The Starkey Hearing Foundation is an exceptional way for the company to give back to the world by helping those in need to celebrate the gift of hearing as well. Read our full review of Starkey hearing aids here