If you aren't taking advantage of the GPS navigation available on your iPhone, it's time to get familiar with it! Apple devices come pre-installed with the Apple Maps app. Not just for people with cars, Apple Maps can help you get around whether you are driving, walking, biking, or taking the bus. It can give you details about restaurants near you, let you know the traffic in real time, tell you if your bus is late, and recommend sights in a new city.
Apple Maps can help you both plan an outing and get there safely. Whether you're getting directions to pick up the grandkids or meeting friends for lunch at a new restaurant, this app has you covered. Below is a step-by-step guide to get the most out of this application. You will learn how to find a destination and navigate to it, share your location, and set up Apple maps in the way that will best suit your needs.
Getting Familiar with Apple Maps
Below, we'll cover how to find Apple Maps on your phone and get familiar with how the app works.
Find Apple Maps
If you aren't familiar with the app, you may need to find it first. For Apple products, it will come pre-installed on your homescreen, and it looks like the image below.
If you are having trouble locating it, you can search for the app. Swipe down from the middle of your home screen to access your search bar and type “maps.”
Open Apple Maps
There are a couple of ways to open the app:
- Simply tap on the app icon wherever it resides on your homescreen.
- Tap “Apple Maps” from your today view by swiping right from your homescreen.
- Click an address from a website, text message, or email, and Apple should automatically open Maps to that location.
Add Important Addresses
When you open the app you will see a list of “Favorites.” You can put your home address, as well as other addresses you use frequently, to save time later on. That way, you won't have to type in the full address every time you want directions to your house or another important address. Here's how to add to your favorites.
- Tap “Home,” “Work,” or “Add.”
- The app prompts you to open your contact card on your phone.
- Type in the address that you want to add to your favorites, and click “Done” in the top right corner when you're finished.
Choose Your View: Map, Satellite, or Transit
When you open the Apple Maps app, you'll see a traditional view of the map. You can also change to a satellite view or transit view to see traffic if you prefer. Here's how to change your view.
- In the top right corner of the screen, tap the “i” icon. It looks like the image below.
- Tap any of the three views that you'd like to use.
- Depending on which view you choose, your screen will look like one of the three images below.
Pin and Share Your Location
You can mark where you currently are on your map or share your location with other people. This is helpful if you want to remember where you parked, or you want to send your location to someone if they are picking you up or just want to know where you are.
- Tap the “i” icon.
- Then, tap “Mark my Location.” This will create a red pin marking the location that you tapped.
- Hit the “Share” icon. This will allow you to message your location to someone else.
- When you no longer need that location marked, tap the red pin and select “Remove.”
Pro Tip: You can mark a location to help remember where you parked!
How to View Nearby Locations in Apple Maps
Apple Maps is extremely useful for finding out what is around you. Whether you are looking for a restaurant, store, gas station, or repair shop, you can start your search in the Maps app and get all of the information you need. Here's how!
- Tap the search bar and either:
- Select a category from the “Find Nearby” options.
- Type or dictate a specific category such as “urgent care.”
- Select a business or location in order to view it. When you select a location, you'll be able to see the following information:
- Contact information, including a click-to-call option
- Hours of operation
- Yelp reviews and menus
- Photos and a 360-degree view of the exterior
How to Get Directions to a Location
Once you have chosen where to go, Apple Maps will help you navigate there from either your current location or a location you specify.
- Tap “Directions.”
- Select your method of transportation: drive, walk, public transportation, bicycle, or ride- share, by tapping the appropriate icon.
- Tap “Tolls” or “Highways” under the “Avoid” section if you wish. You'll know it worked when the grey slider button turns green. Apple Maps will adjust the route based on your selection. This is great if you prefer to avoid the highway or don't want to pay for a toll road.
- Apple Maps will often present multiple routes to your destination. There may be a faster route than the suggested one if you are willing to pay a toll or take a slower route you are more comfortable with. Here's how to select a route.
- Toggle between the different routes on the map by tapping the different blue lines.
- Or, select a route from the options below the map by tapping on a route from the list. This will allow you to see turn-by-turn directions.
- Once you've chosen the route you like, hit “Go.”
Using Apple Maps on Your Way to the Destination
Important Features to Know
Once you are navigating to a destination, you will be able to:
- Your arrival time as well as time and distance remaining
- The speed limit, as well as speed and red light cameras approaching
- Restaurants, gas stations, and coffee shops on your route
- Turn-by-turn directions
- Your ETA with someone else
- The audio volume of the navigation
Pro Tip: If you have hearing loss or are in a crowded area, consider pairing your smartphone with noise-canceling earbuds so you can more clearly hear directions.
How to Get a List View of Your Directions
If you want to know more about your route before you head out, you can view each route in a list view.
- Select a route and tap “Go.”
- Tap the route card at the bottom of the screen and select “Details.”
- Here, you'll be able to view a full list of your directions. Any steps you've already completed will be grayed out.
How to Add a New Stop to Your Route
If you need to make a stop during your trip, you can add one while navigating. This is handy when you're on a long road trip, and you need to gas up or grab some food on the way.
- Tap the “Route” card at the bottom of the screen and select the type of location you want to look for, whether it's restaurants, gas stations, or coffee.
- Options near your route will be displayed both on the map and in a list form.
- Tap “Go” next to one of the options to begin navigating there.
- After your stop, or if you change your mind and no longer want to make the additional stop, tap “Resume Route” in blue up at the top.
How to End Navigation
- To end navigation, simply tap the red “End” icon.
- Then tap “End Route” to confirm that you would like to exit.
How to Use Siri to Get Directions
Using Siri can be especially useful for getting directions in Maps. It can be a much quicker way to navigate if you have trouble typing on or reading your smartphone's screen. You can say things like “Give me walking directions home,” or “Give me directions to Ann's house.” If you have not yet enabled Siri:
- Go to your ”Settings” app. Next, tap “Siri & Search.”
- Make sure the toggle icons under the “Ask Siri” header are on. You'll know they are on when they turn from gray to green.
Now, all you have to do is summon Siri by either pressing your home button (if your iPhone model has one) or the button on the right side of your phone (if your iPhone doesn't have a home button). Just tell Siri where you want to go, and she'll get everything set up!
Did You Know: Siri can do more than just help you with directions. To learn more about how to use Siri and all of its functions, head to our Siri guide.