Comcast Xfinity Cable TV for Seniors
Xfinity Internet Key Takeaways
- Xfinity is one of the nation’s leading cable TV providers, offering services in 40 states.
- For those who want to get all of their entertainment in one place and save, Xfinity offers excellent internet and TV bundles.
- While Xfinity is one of our favorite TV providers, there are a few companies that we rank even higher. Want to learn who swept the competition away? Our list of the best cable TV for seniors has all the details.
Although more people are “cutting cord” to save money, adults ages 65 and older are still more likely to be cable subscribers1. Cable TV remains one of the easier ways to watch their favorite movies and shows. To compete with streaming services like Hulu and Netflix, some cable providers offer their own streaming solutions and voice-activated remotes for a better entertainment experience.
Xfinity, owned by Comcast, is a front-runner in this space. Available in 40 states, Xfinity offers a wide variety of packages and price options, including affordable bundled TV and internet packages. But what sets Xfinity apart is its suite of senior-friendly benefits such as voice search, large-button remote, and bilingual channels. Because Xfinity deals vary widely depending on your location and package choice, we’ve narrowed down the most popular cable TV packages, prices, features, and savings tips for you.
Read on to learn why Xfinity is one of our picks for the best cable TV for seniors.
Pros About Xfinity
- Affordable TV and streaming plan options
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Helpful tools like voice search and free Xfinity Flex with specific plans
- Comprehensive accessibility services – closed captioning, braille bills, sign language support, and more
- Low-income assistance via Affordable Connectivity Program
- Xfinity Latino for bilingual households
Cons About Xfinity
- Minimum 12-month contract required
- Additional fine-print fees
- Some additional fine-print fees
- Extra installation charge for non-bundled TV
- Pricing subject to change
Xfinity TV Packages
Xfinity’s pricing and packages vary based on where you live and what you need (TV, internet, phone). Additionally, Xfinity’s website has a handy channel lineup comparison tool to help you decide which package to purchase.
All Xfinity Plans Include:
- HD capability
- On-Demand access
- Ability to download TV shows and movies with the Xfinity Stream app
Xfinity Plans and Pricing
|Plan||Price*||Channels||Highlights||Special features||Best for|
|Limited Basic/Choice TV||$20 per month||10+||ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, Univision, local access||Add channels any time||People who want basic live TV, minimal on-demand, and reliable reception|
|Popular TV||$50 per month||125+||Local plus ESPN, TBS, HGTV, Bravo||A majority of mainstream channels and offerings||Traditional “basic cable” viewers who don’t need premium channels|
|Ultimate TV||$68.50 per month||185+||Preferred sports channels, plus National Geographic Wild, and Disney Channel||Comes with an X1 TV box and voice remote||Premium content fans|
|Xfinity Latino TV||Depends on location and availability||50+||BabyFirstTV en Español, Centroamérica TV, Cine Mexicano, etc.||Can use the bilingual Voice Remote or get 50 more Spanish-language channels for an additional $5 a month.||Bilingual households who want a variety of channels.|
*Basic package price listed, additional broadcast and sports package fees may vary depending on your location.
Xfinity offers excellent value, straightforward plans, and widespread availability nationwide, making them one of our top picks.
Xfinity DVR and On Demand Content
If you’re already an Xfinity customer, you may have both DVR and non-DVR cable boxes. DVRs now come standard with most new TV packages. What the DVR can handle depends on the version. For basic TV watching, consider choosing an Xfinity internet plan that comes with the free Xfinity Flexbox to stream On Demand programming.
You can compare DVR differences on Xfinity’s website while you shop, but generally, Xfinity DVRs include:
- Up to 20 total hours of HD or SD recording capacity on the hard drive (box)
- Up to 300 hours of cloud DVR storage for $20 per month
- Pause and rewind up to 60 minutes of live TV
- Can record up to six shows at once with X1 DVR service
Xfinity Cable TV, Internet, and Phone Bundles
While there are no senior-specific discounts, Xfinity offers multiple bundles and promotional offers throughout the year. Bundling (combining more than one service, such as TV, internet, and phone) is one of the best ways to get the most for your money. Xfinity offers several bundle deals just for TV and internet, for the same price as TV-only, in some cases.
The company also offers internet and mobile deals for people who want a new phone carrier. You can choose to build your own bundle or select one of Xfinity’s advertised options. These bundles are customizable and vary greatly by location and the packages available in your area. Below are our top picks for older adults.
Did You Know? Xfinity isn’t just a cable TV provider. Visit our Xfinity internet review to learn how you can save on more home services and upgrade your internet game, too.
Best overall streaming deal for seniors
If you want to try “cutting the cord,” Xfinity offers Flex, a voice-controlled 4K streaming box with access to over 10,000 free movies and TV shows, along with popular streaming apps like Netflix and Hulu. You can also rent and buy your favorite movies and shows.
Xfinity Flex combines internet and TV through a “streaming dashboard” box with DVR. While it may have more perks than you need, the X1’s voice remote and ease of use are especially beneficial for customers over 65. You can control almost anything on your TV with the Voice Remote. All your shows, movies, music, podcasts, and apps are available across all of your screens. Xfinity Flex comes with a one-time activation fee of $15 for new customers.
400 Mbps Internet + Popular TV (Over 125 Channels)
This bundle offers excellent value at an estimated $120.80 per month with a one-year term contract, depending on your location. It includes 400 Mbps internet speeds, which is more than enough for most older users. You can play games, stream movies, and make video calls all at the same time on different devices. The bundle also comes with the same number of channels as the Popular TV package, which costs $55 per month on its own.
Keep in mind that prices will increase after the first year. The package may also come with broadcast TV or regional sports fees, and taxes are not included in the price. Prices may also vary by location. If you’re trying to rearrange your budget so you can afford an Xfinity cable package, consider checking out these five budgeting apps for seniors.
Buyer's Tip: If you’re trying to rearrange your budget so you can afford an Xfinity cable package, consider checking out these five budgeting apps for seniors.
Top Xfinity Perks
Xfinity does not offer senior discounts. But it does offer bundle deals and some handy features that set it apart for older adults.
- Three cheers for Voice Remote: Change channels, search for shows, or find out what song is playing. This remote requires an X1 TV box or Flex streaming box. Both include integrated streaming, so you can access outside apps like Prime Video or Netflix in the same place.
- Download Xfinity Stream: You can stream your favorite on-demand shows and movies by downloading the Xfinity Stream app on your mobile devices.
- Internet Essentials: If you are on Medicaid, have a VA pension, or have other qualifying circumstances, you can get internet for free per month through the Internet Essentials program.2 The 50 Mbps speeds with this plan are fast enough for email, social media, and streaming the occasional show or movie.
- No-penalty agreements: While some of Xfinity’s plans require contracts, there are no extra charges to get out of them early. Just keep in mind that monthly rates go up after the typical 12-month contract period.
- Initial trial period: Xfinity offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, making their plans relatively low-risk as long as you decide (and cancel) within that time.
- Additional senior-friendly accessibility options: Customers with visual impairments can request to receive a free, large-button remote at no additional charge.3
Xfinity Fine Print
Good news: Xfinity is pretty upfront about its fine print. Tap the “Pricing & other info” button on their website to quickly see what lurks in the wee font. Bad news: you may have to read it three times to understand it fully. Here’s what stands out:
- Monthly service rates go up after the 12-month contract period. Even if other discounts apply for 24 months or more, they’ll apply to the higher “regular” rate that kicks in after a year.
- Enroll in autopay and paperless billing within 30 days. This one’s easy to forget, so mark your calendar and set an alarm. To get the $10 monthly discount, you have to enroll (it’s not automatic when you join) in both autopay and paperless “ecobilling.” If you don’t do it within 30 days, you lose the discount.
- Budget for extra fees. TV-only customers may have to pay for installation. Most cable bills also include a broadcast TV fee (up to $24.95 per month), a regional sports fee (up to $26.85 per month), and monthly taxes, depending on your state.
- Speeds may vary. Keep in mind that internet speeds may vary depending on your location. To check some of the factors that may potentially affect your internet speed, Xfinity recommends visiting their network management guide.
Who is Xfinity Cable Best For?
Xfinity is best for entertainment-loving seniors who want multiple channels and services and an easy, all-in-one solution. It’s especially great if you have emerging or ongoing challenges with your hearing, sight, or dexterity. Features (many of them free) such as voice-led search, large-button remote controls, and extensive closed captioning and braille services can go a long way in making everyday viewing easier.
While cable TV plans start at just $20 per month, Xfinity shines brightest if you need multiple services or live in a multi-generational or larger household. You can also add additional channels to customize your entertainment package.
While it may not be the cheapest way to watch TV, Xfinity is widely available, offers many packages, and is backed by reliable customer service. Inclusive, forward-thinking benefits such as Voice Remote, audio guides, large-button controls, and an extensive accessibility resource center make Xfinity a solid choice for older adults who want multiple entertainment choices but need added support. Older adults with disabilities can contact Xfinity’s Accessibility Support Center seven days a week for additional support.
What is the most affordable Xfinity package?
The most affordable Xfinity package is Choice TV, with access to 10+ channels like the Hallmark Channel, HSN, and VICE with no term contract. Keep in mind, however, that you may need to pay an extra $27.80 per month broadcast TV fee.
Does Xfinity offer senior or military discounts?
Xfinity does not currently offer any senior-specific discounts. But it does provide general assistance discounts that many older adults may be eligible for, such as Internet Essentials if you are on Medicaid, a VA pension, or have other qualifying circumstances. For veterans, Xfinity provides a $25 coupon you can apply to your bill or an On Demand rental or purchase and a $100 prepaid Visa card for new members who bring their own devices and sign up for an Xfinity mobile plan.
What are Xfinity’s best deals?
Xfinity runs special promotions and bundled packages throughout the year. We’d recommend looking during the holidays, Black Friday, and Cyber Monday when people are more likely to upgrade their TV and services.
How much are Xfinity internet and cable TV per month?
Prices will vary depending on where you live and the internet speeds you need. Visit Xfinity’s TV+Internet lineup tab to enter your location and check the most accurate pricing.
Internet Essentials. (2020). Homepage.
Xfinity. (2020). Comcast's Accessibility Support Center for Customers with Disabilities.