Senior Bus Tours
If you’re a senior citizen there’s no time like the present to get out, have some fun and travel. Being retired gives you leisure time you may have never had in the past. Now is the time to explore! Bus tours offer seniors the perfect opportunity to travel without having to worry about the hassle of getting there. Just hop on the bus and go! With so many destinations to choose from, there’s bound to be one for everyone!
Planning a Senior Bus Tour
Community centers, churches, and other organizations often offer bus tours for seniors. If you can’t find one through one of these means you can always look for one on your own. Either way, here are some things to consider when booking a senior bus tour.
- Where do you want to go? This is the most important question and will often determine many factors of your trip. Once you decide then you need to find a bus tour that goes to that destination and for the amount of time you’re looking to travel.
- What is included in the price? You want to know exactly what you’re paying for. Is it for the bus and hotel (if it’s an overnight trip)? If so, can you choose the hotel? Are any meals included? Check to see if prices of excursions or admission fees to museums and other sites are included. These are all important questions to ask. Never assume anything!
- Is the tour company reputable? Once you decide where you want to go, it’s time to find a company that can get you there. After you find a couple that suit your needs be sure they are reputable. Ask around and do some research. A good idea is to contact the Better Business Bureau to see if there are any complaints lodged against the company. Also check safety records to see if the company has been involved in any accidents recently. You don’t want to compromise safety just to save a few dollars.
- Is there a tour guide? Depending on what kind of bus tour you’re going on, a tour guide may be included. Ask if someone will be there to help or if you’re on your own the entire time.
- How many people are on the tour? Knowing this can help you decide which company you want to go with depending on what you like. Some people like to travel in big crowds while others prefer a more intimate group.
- How are cancellations and refunds handled? Life happens and sometimes our best plans have to be cancelled. Be sure to ask how cancellations and refunds are handled. If there is a strict cancellation policy you may want to consider going with another company.
If you’ve never been on a bus tour before you may want to book through a company. There are many companies that cater specifically to seniors. They are familiar with the needs and know what works and what doesn’t.
Dealing with the Cost of a Bus Tour
Since many seniors are on fixed incomes, the cost of traveling needs to be factored into the big picture. Set a budget and stick to it. Also, look for special offers through discount agencies and sites like AAA and Groupon. If you know specifically where you want to go you may be able to go there for less using these resources.
Medical Necessity on a Bus Tour
If you need a wheelchair or other aid, ask what fits on the bus and what may not. Be sure to inform the company of any other medical issue or medical needs you may have while on the bus tour.
Senior bus tours can be a great way to socialize with friends and make new friends while you see sights and visit places you’ve wanted to your entire life. Take advantage of every opportunity out there!