Retirement life is an unavoidable step in a human’s life, and with some careful planning, seniors can move comfortably into an assisted living facility, or an ALF. When the senior moves from their home to an ALF, they experience the freedom and independence that they want, and they can spend more time with their family and friends. With the fast-paced lifestyle of today, many seniors are planning their retirement liviing, and their options include
- Retirement Communities
- Nursing Homes
- Alzheimer’s and Dementia Care Centers
- Independent Living Facilities
- Hospice Care
- Continuing Care Retirement Communities
An assisted living facility provides ‘round the clock care, three nutritious meals a day and complete home care while still leaving the patient their independence. When searching for the right ALF for your family member, consider the environment around the facility. Is there a park in the area where they could take walks on sunny afternoons? Maybe there is a small shopping plaza that where they could shop? Remember that the more active they are, and the more they participate in life, the healthier and happier they will be.
Portland is a beautiful city that is known for its green environment and an extraordinary coastline. With the more than average rainfall in Portland, some people may fall into depression during the winter, so the key is to get out to the many parks and walking trails when it’s possible. By doing this you can stock up on sunshine and fresh air.
Portland has plenty of unique, off-beat ways to get about the city throughout the different seasons.
- Live theatre like, Shakespeare in the Park, are set in various outdoor settings in the summer.
- In July, the largest blues festival draws music fans from around the country to the waterfront for a weekend of jazz.
- From April to December, the Portland Saturday Market transforms the Old Town/Chinatown area into an open air market with over 250 vendors for great shopping.
- Powell Butte Nature Park is over 600 acres filled with winding trails and bicycle paths.
- Forest Park has 5100 wooded acres and 70 miles of trails for afternoon walks.
- If your senior is a golf enthusiast, Eastmore and Heron Lakes are among the top 70 golf courses in America.
- Lovely hotels and bed and breakfasts like the Jupiter Hotel and the Hotel de Luxe provide unique places for visitors to lodge.
Retirement Living across Oregon
There are over 550 senior living facilities in Portland. The elderly who require professional assistance are covered by Medicare, but it is a false belief that Medicare covers all of their costs in a retirement home. In Oregon, the rate of a semi-private room is $140 -$214 a day, with private rooms average $187 – $300. The out of pocket expenses for the average senior, age 65 – 70, will typically be $4,888 or more in extra expenses and co-pays, depending on the age and level of care.
Searching for Assisted Living in Portland
When the time arrives for a loved one to move to an ALF or another retirement home, SeniorLiving.org will help with the many questions that you will have. This website will make your search easier.